Xbox 720 Rumour Round-Up
Xbox 720 – will it be revealed in 2011? Only Microsoft knows. But speculation has mounted since the start of the year that the platform holder is planning something big – we've rounded up the biggest rumours to help you make up your own mind.
– Microsoft has continually stated that it expects the Xbox 360 to have a decade-long life-span, which, if true will see it last until 2015. That's not to say it couldn't have some sort of overlapping lifespan much like the PS2 and PS3. M2 Research's Billy Pidgeon told NowGamer he expects the next Xbox to arrive at the end of 2014 at the earliest.
– Microsoft recently advertised positions on its console hardware development team, including someone to work on graphics architecture. According to the ad, the team is responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation.
– Square Enix is ramping up for the next generation of console hardware, with a new studio set to develop for future consoles opening next year.
– Epic Games is ramping up for the next generation of console hardware with the latest version of the Unreal Engine. Epic's Mark Rein hinted that the demo was partly to show console manufacturers what they should aspire to with the next round of gaming hardware.
– The online portfolio of designer Ben Peterson recently hinted at something involving future hardware: "Microsoft Xbox. Confidential / Collaboration with Microsoft's IEB design group investigating future user experiences and hardware for 2015."
Check back for more rumours and updates as they arise