Will Xbox 720 Be Called Xbox Gold?
Microsoft has chased and registered several domains relating to Xbox Gold just months before the next-gen machine's supposed reveal.
Published on Feb 25, 2013
The next-gen Xbox could be called Xbox Gold, according to rumours sparked by Microsoft chasing domain names.
According to reports by Fusible, Microsoft filed a complaint against a site using the domain XboxGold.org before chasing another called Xbox-Gold.com, before acquiring the latter from its owner.
The company has also purchased a raft of web addresses in the last few weeks including XboxGold.cn, XboxGold.es, XboxGold.eu, XboxGold.in, XboxGold.com.au and XboxGold.asia
Recent rumours suggest the next-gen Xbox 720 will be revealed in April, while rumblings last year suggested Microsoft would name its new Xbox after an existing service.
While it’s still likely Microsoft is just protecting its online Xbox Live Gold brand (perhaps it plans to drop the ‘Live’ for online play), it could end up being the new console’s name considering the lengths the company is going to snap up the domains.
Naturally, take this with a large pinch of salt, as this is just speculation for the time being.
More Like This...
- EverQuest Next: Landmark Adds Extra Claims, New Smoothing & Biomes
- Xbox One Controller Needs Firmware Update For Headset Adapter
- Jack Tretton Stepping Down As SCEA President & CEO
- 'Xbox One Is The Best Place For A Multiplayer Gamer To Be' - Microsoft
- Twitch Plays Pokemon-Style Live Streaming Coming To Xbox One