22Cans Kickstarts Godus, Molyneux's Next God Game
Project Godus is the next game from 22Cans, has appeared on Kickstarter and will blend Dungeon Keeper, Populus and Black & White.
Published on Nov 22, 2012
We might not yet know what's inside the cube, but that hasn't stopped 22Cans from barrelling onwards with its next experiment: Project Godus, a brand new god game utilises lessons learnt from Curiosity.
It's been a while since Peter Molyneux has worked on a god game, but it is genre he built his name on with Populus, so it'll be hard not to sit up and take note of this project.
Project Godus appeared on Kickstarter yesterday, pitching it as "an innovative reinvention of Populous" that will deliver "exciting global co-operation, competition, creation and destruction to a whole new generation."
Three of Molyneux's most adored titles are name-dropped in the project pitch, too, suggesting Project Godus will blend "the power, growth and scope of Populous with the detailed construction and multiplayer excitement of Dungeon Keeper and the intuitive interface and technical innovation of Black & White."
Project Godus is looking for £450,000 in funding and, at the time of writing, has collected 10% of that in about 12 hours.
Project Godus is expected to release within 7 to 9 months, but will take a little longer depending on the amount of funding it receives and extra features 22Cans implements.
There are no screenshots - though the accompanying artwork suggests a Minecraft-esque visual style - and only a few of the game's details have been added into the pitch.
Here's some of Project Godus features, as according to 22Cans:
- It’s a living world, unique and detailed. And it’s a world you influence, whether you’re good or evil.
- Godus is instantly accessible, easy to learn but immensely deep.
- As you flourish and build your own cult, you’ll engage in pitched battles with other gods and their cults. It’s a multiplayer power-struggle the way it should be.
- Godus draws on the cunning battle-psychology of Dungeon Keeper, the living, changing world of Black & White and the instinctive, satisfying gameplay of Populous.
- Plus you get to be a god. In fact, play well and you get to be the ultimate god!
- Godus will be developed for the PC and Mobile devices, we hope to be able to add more platforms as our Kickstarter campaign progresses.
As always there's a variety of rewards, with the highest tier of £5,000 rewarding its purchasing with a VIP trip to E3 2013, flights included.
So if you're interested in playing a brand new god game from the man who invented the genre, head over to the Project Godus Kickstarter page and put your money down now.
Here's some of the art from the Kickstarter:
More Like This...
- EverQuest Next: Landmark Adds Extra Claims, New Smoothing & Biomes
- Xbox One Controller Needs Firmware Update For Headset Adapter
- Jack Tretton Stepping Down As SCEA President & CEO
- 'Xbox One Is The Best Place For A Multiplayer Gamer To Be' - Microsoft
- Twitch Plays Pokemon-Style Live Streaming Coming To Xbox One