id Software Hiring For New Game On 'Future-Generation Consoles'
Doom, Quake and Rage creator and the house of the first-person shooter has something new in the works.
Published on Jul 26, 2012
id Software is working on "an unannounced game on future-generation consoles," according to a recent job listing.
id programming guru John Carmack said at E3 that he's less excited by next-gen consoles than he is by the potential of virtual reality - Carmack is currently involved in the development of a new headset called the Oculus Rift, which is already garnering a lot of interest from the games industry.
"Sony and Microsoft are going to fight over gigaflops and teraflops and GPUs and all this," Carmack said "In the end, it won't make that much difference."
Still we'd expect the new project to look pretty special on next-gen consoles - Doom 4 is pretty much announced, but could it be a Rage sequel? Or a new IP?
Quakecon features a Carmack keynote speech next week, while Doom 3 BFG launches in October - but don't expect any further news on id's future plans for a while.
More Like This...
- EverQuest Next: Landmark Adds Extra Claims, New Smoothing & Biomes
- Xbox One Controller Needs Firmware Update For Headset Adapter
- Jack Tretton Stepping Down As SCEA President & CEO
- 'Xbox One Is The Best Place For A Multiplayer Gamer To Be' - Microsoft
- Twitch Plays Pokemon-Style Live Streaming Coming To Xbox One