Minecraft Xbox 360: Patches, Features & DLC - Everything You Need To Know
Minecraft Xbox 360 news as it happens, all in our regularly updated round-up. Bookmark this page to stay informed.
Published on Jul 11, 2012
We’ll be updating this page with new Minecraft Xbox 360 screens, patch notes, rumours and trailers as they happen, so bookmark this page and keep checking back for updates.
Last Updated [11/07/12]
[10/07/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: 4J Talks Updates, Texture Packs, Custom Skins
4J Studios has continued to discuss its plans for Minecraft Xbox 360, with hopes for new features and content currently pinned on the future 1.8.2 update.
4J said it is "looking at texture packs", will add the ability for guest players to be blocked from affecting your world, "will be adding new content" and may even introduce custom, player-designed skins "much later on", despite there being issues doing that on the console "that get lawyers all excited".
[04/07/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Patch 1.7.3 Adds New Skins DLC - First Images
On this day, 4J Studios revealed a batch of images for Minecraft 1.7.3's new character skins.
The Minecraft Xbox 360 Skin Pack 1 will add 40 new skins to the mix, and hans't got a release date yet.
Some of the skins available in the pack include:
- Creeper Man
- 'Splosion Man
- Trials Man
- Covenant Grunt
[03/07/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Patch 1.7.3 Release Date 'Within 10 Days'
On this day, 4J Studios announced it had submitted Minecraft Xbox 360 patch 1.7.3 to Microsoft for approval, along with some additional patch notes:
- Added pistons.
- Fixed clay generation.
- Flint and Steel or redstone is now required to trigger TNT
- Fences can be stacked.
- Added Shears.
- Redstone wire now will connect to a repeater
- Shears can be used to pick up leaf blocks.
- Shears can be used to shear sheep without hurting them
- Sheep no longer drop wool from being punched, only from being killed when they are unsheared.
- New textures for Cobblestone and Brick blocks.
- Silverfish skin was added (for Beta 1.8).
[27/06/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition To Have Trial Skin Packs, Maybe Server Rental
Minecraft Xbox 360 could offer players dedicated servers via similar rental system to that introduced in Battlefield 3.
Developer 4J Studios tweeted that discussions for dedicated servers "so far are around a rental" - a similar solution to Minecraft on PC.
Meanwhile the upcoming Skin DLC packs will feature 'trial' versions with some skin unlocked, according to the studio.
[21/06/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Open Servers, Skin Packs Detailed, Update 1.8.2 In The Works
Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition will support paid-for skin pack DLC when the 1.7.3 update launches in July, developer 4J Studios confirmed.
Skin packs will likely cost players MS points, 4J confirmed on Twitter and will contain "40+ skins per pack", as well as some free skins per pack.
Although the 1.7.3 patch has yet to launch, 4J also confirmed it is already working on the next Minecraft Xbox 360 update - which will most closely resemble the PC beta version 1.8.2 - the Adventure Update.
Meanwhile, 4J also said that the adding open servers to the game was "in discussion".
[18/06/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition 1.7.3 Update Coming In July With Skins DLC
Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition will be updated to version 1.7.3 in early July, as confirmed by 4J Studios. The developer also announced that the update would launch alongside a new skins DLC pack.
4J Studios also confirmed it would update the game to 1.7.3 then aim to jump to Beta 1.8.3 then bring Minecraft up to par with version 1.2.3 of the final code.
[13/06/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Update Expected In July, Adds Autosave, Multiple Fixes
Minecraft Xbox 360 developer 4J Studios revealed some the contents of its first patch on this day, including auto-save features and more. Here are some of the revealed patch notes here:
- Added an autosave, and the ability to turn autosave off, or set it from 15 minutes up to 2 hours in 15 minute steps.
- Split the sensitivity controls into an in-game sensitivity and an in-menu sensitivity.
- Added an Interface Opacity slider in the settings for plasma screen users.
- Added a gamertag display in splitscreen, and the ability to enable/disable it in the settings.
- Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable in-game hints.
- Added an option in the settings menu to enable/disable tooltips.
- Added a co-ordinate display to the in-game map.
- Added new sections in the How To Play on Multiplayer, Sharing Screenshots, and What’s New.
- Added a warning message when attempting to place lava near the spawn area.
- Fix for the leaderboard crash when toggling between filters/leaderboards.
- Fix for server disconnect message appearing when offline or in leaderboards.
- Fix for issue where posting a screenshot to Facebook caused a back out to the main menu.
- Fix for clay generation.
- Fix for ‘Awaiting Approval’ showing all the time on some signs.
- Various crafting menu fixes.
- Fix for being able to stand on sugarcane.
- Fix for intermittent crash on saving.
- Fix for duplication bug with the furnace.
- Fix for not being able to place water near the spawn area.
- Fix for intermittent problem on entering the Nether putting the player above the Nether world.
- Fix for frame-rate drop around the edge of the world.
- Fix for intermittent problem where some achievements were not being awarded.
- Fix for graphical issue with stairs.
- Fix for issue with enemies spawning inside a house when they shouldn’t.
- Fix for Zombie Pigmen not being counted for leaderboard scores.
[25/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Played More Online Than Black Ops
This was the news on this day, following Xbox Live figures published by Microsoft. More people played Minecraft Xbox 360 than Call of Duty: Black Ops. That's a big deal indeed.
[24/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Update To Include 'As Many PC Features As Possible', says 4J Studios
4J Studios explained that it was trying to implement as many Minecraft PC features as it could into the first Minecraft Xbox 360 update. Here's the studio's quote:
"We are working with Daniel Kaplan at Mojang to define what is going in to the Xbox version", 4J's Paddy Burns explained, "But the aim is to include as many of the PC features that make sense on the Xbox as possible. The game isn't Minecraft on the Xbox, it is Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, so it isn't really a direct port of the PC game."
[23/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Microsoft Refunding For SDTV Split-Screen Issues
Minecraft Xbox 360 owners running the game on standard definition TVs quickly found themselves unable to play the split screen version of the game. Microsoft quickly released a statement on the issue, and refunded anyone affected.
The statement read:
"We updated our pre-sale notification to inform customers that an HD screen is required for the split-screen multiplayer feature on Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition," the publisher said in a statement.
"If a player does not have an HD screen and purchased this game prior to the notification update, they are eligible for a full refund through customer support."
[16/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition Update Coming 'This Summer'
Mojang tweeted that an update for Minecraft Xbox 360 would be coming in the summer. Here's the quote:
"A lot of people are asking about the next Minecraft Xbox update. All I can say is it's planned to be released "this summer"
[15/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Sells Over A Million Copies In Launch Week, Says Microsoft
Just a week after launching on Xbox Live Arcade, Microsoft revealed that Minecraft had sold over a million downloads.
[11/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: How To Survive Your First 5 Days
NowGamer's Adam Barnes and Dave Cook play through five days in Minecraft, and teach newcomers how to survive, create necessary tools and how to fend off the evil Creepers in a series of ace video guides.
[10/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Became Profitable After An Hour On Sale, Says Notch
The day after Minecraft Xbox 360 launched, Mojang founder Notch revealed that the game made back its budget in just over an hour.
[09/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 Gets Rave Reviews, Notch Hints At Positive Sales
Following Minecraft Xbox 360's release, we collated all of the major reviews and scores out there online into one handy article. Notch also spoke out about the game's superb success and hinted that the game was hitting stunning sales figures.
[09/05/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 - The official NowGamer review!
We reviewed Minecaft on Xbox 360 in full, giving it a great score and revealing tons of new information of 4J Studio's superb port.
You can read our full Minecraft Xbox 360 review right here.
[07/04/12] Minecraft Xbox Gets New Screens Ahead of Release
Minecraft Xbox 360 got another huge batch of new screens, courtesy of 4J Studios and Mojang. The new images show off Creepers, dungeons, snow environments, giant lakes and much more.
[06/04/12] Minecraft: Mojang 'Keen For Xbox 360 Exclusive Content'
Minecraft Xbox 360 developer 4J Studios revealed that Mojang was keen for the game to grow in a different direction to the PC version.
[05/04/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Rebuilding Notch's Masterpiece For Consoles - Interview
NowGamer spoke with Minecraft Xbox 360 developer 4J Studios about the responsiblity of porting such an epic game to Microsoft's hardware, and disucces at length how the game would grow through future patches.
It's a big interview rammed full of interesting facts, and you can read it all here.
[04/04/12] Minecraft Xbox 360 gets its debut trailer, and tons of new information
4J Studios and Mojang released the debut trailer for Minecraft Xbox 360, showing off four player split screen mode, button prompts and much more. Watch the full trailer here.
[22/03/12] Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition Gets May Release Date, High Price
As part of Microsoft's 'Arcade Next' season, Minecraft was dated for Xbox Live release on 9 May, at a lofty 1600 MS Points, or £13 to talk in real money terms.
[05/03/12] Minecraft Xbox 360: Castles, Dungeons, Enemies - Screens
Minecraft Xbox 360 got its first batch of gameplay screens, courtesy of Scottish developer 4J Studios. The initial shots show off a recreation of Edinburgh Castle, which is found in Scotland's captial. Animals, plantlife and dungeons were also shown.
[13/06/11] Minecraft Xbox 360 Kinect is optional, Notch confirms
Notch confirmed that while Minecraft Xbox 360 supports Kinect play, it is entirely optional. This was good news to anyone who isn't a fan of the Kinect hardware.
[06/06/11] Minecraft Xbox 360 is confirmed, along with Kinect support
The Minecraft Xbox 360 saga began as Microsoft announced that Minecraft would be making its way to Xbox Live Arcade, during its pre-E3 2011 conference. Check out the announcement here.
More Like This...
- Microsoft's Major Nelson: "It's Great To Have Two Solid Console Launches This Year"
- GTA: San Andreas Now Available On iOS
- Xbox One Needs 'Something Unique For Japanese Market' - Inafune
- From Tokyo Jungle And Far Cry 3 To The World Of Animals
- GTA Online Content Creator Now Available For Xbox 360 & PS3