Latest PC GPUs '24x More Powerful Than Xbox 360 GPU' - Nvidia Engineer
Next-gen consoles have a lot of catching up to do to the latest PC graphics cards, according to a Nvidia engineer.
Published on Jun 14, 2012
The latest PC graphics cards are already "24 times more powerful than the one in the Xbox 360," according to a new report.
An exploration of constantly-improving current-gen console graphics by New Scientist features the comparison by Nvidia's principal engineer Simon Green.
"One day, the whole idea of owning a separate piece of hardware to play games on might be completely redundant," Green suggests.
Reasons graphics keep improving on the same old tech includes greater artistic investment and the continued development of new graphical tricks according to the article, which concludes that "even the next generation of consoles is unlikely to match," the high-end PCs that recently demonstrated Epic's Unreal Engine 4.
The Unreal Engine 4 demo was reportedly shown running via a single Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 card - the latest and most powerful Nvidia card though is the GTX 690, essentially two GTX 680s stuck together. It costs £900.
It's unclear which card Green was referring to, but we'd like to think Xbox Next and PS4 will approach the graphical power of the Unreal Engine 4 demo when they arrive in the next couple of years.
- Watch Dogs, The Last of Us & Beyond 'All Next-Gen Games' - Pachter
- First Unreal Engine 4 Game Wil Ship In 2013 - Epic's Mark Rein
- Unreal Engine 4: Screens, Video, Analysis All In One Place
- E3 2012: Are Watch Dogs & Star Wars 1313 A Glimpse Of Next Gen?
More Like This...
- EverQuest Next: Landmark Adds Extra Claims, New Smoothing & Biomes
- Xbox One Controller Needs Firmware Update For Headset Adapter
- Jack Tretton Stepping Down As SCEA President & CEO
- 'Xbox One Is The Best Place For A Multiplayer Gamer To Be' - Microsoft
- Twitch Plays Pokemon-Style Live Streaming Coming To Xbox One