Nintendo: 'Miyamoto Not Stepping Down'
Nintendo moves to clarify Mario-creator's future plans.
Published on Dec 8, 2011
Super Mario and Legend of Zelda superstar developer Shigeru Miyamoto "has no intention of stepping down," according to Nintendo after a recent interview hinted that he wanted to work on a "smaller project" and with a "new generation of game developers". "There seems to have been a misunderstanding" a Nintendo spokesperson told Reuters. "This is absolutely not true."
The rebuttal comes after Nintendo’s share price dropped following the Wired interview.
On Miyamoto's desire to work with up-and-coming designers, the comapny added: "He has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation [however] he has no intention of stepping down."
Miyamoto is supposed to be working on content for the Wii U, with a next-gen Pikmin game previously mentioned by the veteran developer.
"There seems to have been a misunderstanding" a Nintendo spokesperson told Reuters. "This is absolutely not true."