The Five Greatest Peter Molyneux Quotes
There's something about nipples you hate.
Published on Aug 12, 2010
So let us revel in the infinite words of wisdom from the man, the myth, the legend that is Peter Molyneux.
5. Peter Molyneux: Smooth OperatorMolyneux’s Fable series has always been about morality and the freedom to decide your character’s fate, even projecting your own demeanour onto your hero. If that doesn’t float your boat, there’s always the limitless sex, marriage and the option to cheat on your wife.
When quizzed about this sexually charged freedom in the original Fable, Molyneux responded with a rather awkward personal anecdote, "I used to have this chat-up line, my only chat-up line. Imagine you're walking on a path - what's the path like? Imagine you go to the woods - what does the forest look like?"
4. The Acorn IncidentWhen building up nuclear blast levels of hype for the original Fable, Molyneux claimed that if your character knocks an acorn off a tree, another tree would eventually grow from the fallen acorn. When the feature was nowhere to be found in the final game, some gamers called Molyneux out on the issue.
Presumably eager to appease these doubters, Molyneux assured them the feature would appear in Fable II. “I can tell you definitively that there is absolutely an acorn and it does absolutely grow into a tree. And it is actually part of the story now. We decided we got into so much trouble over acorns and trees that we are going to make it part of the main thread of the story in Fable 2″
But as we all know, the feature didn’t appear in the final game. Maybe Fable III will feature an acorn-planting minigame of some kind?
3. Don’t Be Blue, PeterFable III this time round, and instead of promising mad new additions to the game, Molyneux warned that something significant would be removed from the Fable formula altogether. The gaming world assumed it was the removal of Kinect compatibility, which ended up being true, but in this specific quote, he’s actually talking about the removal of 2D menus in the game.
We feel bad for Molyneux on this one, because of how absolutely terrified he sounds.
"Wow, there's some very, very big things happening with Fable. Bigger than you think and it's going to really upset people. I'm really scared that when I go out and tell people what it is, they are going to get super pissed-off, they really are. But it's the right thing to do, I'm sure it's the right thing to do."
2. Scout Leader StigmaIt took about 282902 milliseconds after the first Milo trailer was revealed before gamers the world over were making sick jokes about the perverted stuff they could do to or with Milo. Molyneux recently addressed such concerns, but in the quote below, sounds more like he’s condoning taboos rather than discouraging them.
On the issue of Milo and taboos, Molyneux said, "The reason for that is it is enormously contentious for us to do a game, a story, an experience, about a boy. You are immediately appealing to all the dark thoughts of humanity."
Woah, steady on! Molyneux then likened the challenge of Milo taboos to Pixar’s Up, because it’s "about an old man and a Boy Scout". We’re worried.
1. Molyneux’s Sexy GDC PartyWhen quizzed at GDC ’09 about the watered down sexual undertones in Fable games, presumably by an American journalist, Molyneux responded in a way that sums up the man in a nutshell. He’s a bit of a dreamer who’s not afraid to speak his mind and he most certainly has a lot of guts. The below retort is possibly Molyneux’s greatest quote to date,
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Peter Molyneux is a top bloke and his games are always incredibly well received at NowGamer HQ. However, every so often Molyneux says things about his games or development methods that has us sitting with our face in our palms. As a developer, he’s a visionary, but as a speaker, we get exactly what he means most of the time, but his method of saying it could use some fine tuning.